More and more companies are using GitHub Enterprise, so the support team is growing. When our customers have problems, they contact us and it is our goal to help them as quickly and awesomely as possible. We're growing our team of Customer Reliability Engineers to help ensure the technical success of our largest and most complex customer deployments, comprised of on-premise installations of GitHub Enterprise Server and GitHub Enterprise Cloud.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Work with assigned customers via support tickets and/or real-time interaction (phone/screen sharing) to solve technical issues related to their usage of GitHub products.
- Act as a single point of contact for technical issues with ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex issues independently.
- Gather metrics around tickets, issues, training needs, and so on for your assigned accounts for quarterly business reviews.
- Collaborate with the Support and Engineering teams to resolve product issues requiring code changes.
- Lead incident response for outages affecting assigned customers, followed by delivery of postmortem reports.
Tickets are usually opened by customer system administrators, and can include investigating load or networking issues, debugging application errors, and discussing feature requests. You'll also work with our engineering team to prioritize issues and development, and our documentation team to improve customer-facing resources. You don’t need to be a Git expert, but you do need to have technical experience and a passion for helping people.
GitHub works remotely and asynchronously as much as possible. While this role does not require you to live near our office, it will require some travel to meet with co-workers or attend company events. This role may require working non-standard working hours, including weekends and holidays on-call as part of a team-wide rotation.
- Act as a single point of contact for specific enterprise customers to provide performance, and best practice advice and assessment related to GitHub and customer's infrastructure.
- Understand and maintain documentation around the customer infrastructure, workflows, and configuration of GitHub Enterprise Server or GitHub Enterprise Cloud environment.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other teams at GitHub when additional expertise is needed to resolve customer issues.
- Provide guidance and assistance with customer support tickets often involving Linux servers, source code, and web application issues.
- Manage customer incidents and outages, including joining Zoom/screen share sessions for live triage.
- Perform incident postmortems, ticket analysis, and system health checks for Premium Support customers as needed.
- Lead quarterly business reviews for the assigned accounts by presenting metrics, data, and health check summary and recommendations.
- Organize and lead weekly/bi-weekly touchpoints with assigned accounts to review ongoing Support issues and projects.
- Work proactively with customers on activities such as coordinating upgrades and ensuring their installation is running smoothly.
- Set-up and onboard new assigned customers into the program.
- Work with Sales to outline the GitHub Premium Support program and features to potential customers.
- Provide weekend on-call support as part of the team rotation (8 hour shifts, during normal work hours).
- Several years of experience in positions related to customer advocacy and/or technical implementation/systems management.
- Previous experience as performing Linux system administration and working experience with common tools like Docker, systemd, openssl, etc., and familiarity with some flavor of production-level virtualization platform and/or cloud provider (e.g., VMware ESX, KVM, AWS, Azure) as well as proficiency with and/or ability to understand and update code (including CI/CD practices), scripts (Shell, Ruby, Go) and common applications in the web application stack like HAProxy, Nginx, MySQL, and Unicorn.
- Excellent verbal and written organizational, presentation, and communication skills, as well as analytical skills, combined with the ability to provide quick resolution to problems.
- Enthusiasm for working directly with customers, and building a deep understanding of what makes their tools work.
- Deep knowledge of Git, GitLFS, and GitHub.
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails.
- Proven experience successfully managing customer engagements to completion and customer satisfaction.
- Worked closely with large complex customer accounts in a technical capacity
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United Kingdom or onsite in GitHub’s Oxford office.
Who We Are:
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.