We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we fight for the world’s financial health, building a beloved AI that empowers people to make better financial decisions.
Backed by some of the most well-known investors in tech, we’ve reached over 5 million users and plan to double that number each year...which is where you come in.
What’s the role all about?
As Cleo’s Data Engineer you will develop and maintain our data and machine learning infrastructure to support our scalability requirements and the growing demands of the company’s thirst for data. As Cleo grows rapidly towards 100M worldwide users, the problems we’re trying to solve get more complex. You’ll work on driving improvements to our data platform and data engineering stack to accommodate this growth and provide the best service to our users.
We have a flat and open engineering culture where data and evidence beats opinion and hierarchy. We passionately believe in forming autonomous, cross functional teams who are empowered to deliver our ambitious strategy. You’ll work alongside our engineering team to help us collect, transform, store, and serve data across the company. You’ll also work closely with the data science function here at Cleo; a team of eight that is building the intelligence that helps our customers understand their money.
Some of the things you'll get involved with:
- Build and maintain our ingestion pipelines from both internal and external sources, into our warehouse/data lake and our ML models. Working closely with engineers on self serve collection so we have high quality data to build upon.
- Improve our framework and platform on how we train, serve and monitor our Machine Learning working alongside our Data Science teams
- Work with various business and engineering teams to ensure reliable, scalable, robust architecture for our data platform and how it fits into the wider Cleo architecture.
- Supporting data scientists with automation, tooling, data pipelines and data engineering expertise
- Contributing to our infrastructure as code and providing support across engineering
What are we looking for? Someone with...
- 4+ years of software engineering experience with a focus on data
- Experience working in a scaling, product based environment
- Experience with data warehousing solutions such as Snowflake, Redshift, or similar managed solutions
- Experience programming in one or more general purpose programming languages, with a preference for Python
- Experience working with Data Science on MLOps initiatives
- Solid SQL experience (PostgreSQL preferred). In addition to strong sense for how to design the best schemas for collection of data and efficiency
- Commercial experience working AWS technologies such as EKS, MSK, S3, EMR and Redshift
- Knowledge of real-time systems such as Kinesis or Kafka
- Experience with data monitoring, observability and threshold alerting tools
- A self-starting learner, confident teaching yourself to do things you have never done before
- Bias for action. You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy-in for your solutions and keep tickets moving. We’re always looking for ways to ship at pace.
What do you get for all your hard work?
- A competitive compensation package (base + equity) with reviews every 6 months. You can view our public progression framework and salary bandings here: https://cleo-ai.progressionapp.com/ - This position is a DS2/DS3 level and we can pay £50,447 - £84,958
- Work at one of the fastest-growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Sofina, Balderton & EQT Ventures
- A clear progression plan. We want you to keep growing. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. Always with our complete support.
- Flexibility: We can’t fight for the world’s financial health if we’re not healthy ourselves. We work with everyone to make sure they have the balance they need to do their best work
- Work where you work best. We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London we have a hybrid approach, we encourage you to spend one day a week or more in our beautiful office but this is fully flexible. If you’re 2+ hours outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us in-person a few times per year - and we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- Other benefits;
- 25 days annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- Check out our new benefits package here: https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/big-benefits-energy-the-latest-cleo-employee-benefits
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- 2 months paid sabbatical after 4 years at Cleo!
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- We'll pay for your OpenAI subscription
- Online mental health support via Spill
- And many more!