We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we empower people to build a life beyond their next paycheck, building a beloved AI that enables you to forge your own path toward financial well-being.
Backed by some of the most well-known investors in tech, we’ve reached over 5 million users and plan to double that number each year... which is where you come in.
We are doubling the engineering team this year, and need more technical leaders to future proof our team! We’re looking for experienced engineering managers to help us achieve our goal of having strong engineering leadership in each of our product pillars. You’ll be leading the Platform team with engineering effectiveness and data effectiveness (multiple teams made up of engineers & data, working to support the overall effectiveness of our engineers and data team.
- Responsible for our CI/CD pipelines, testing & overall infrastructure
- Managing our security and compliance needs from an engineering perspective
- Own the execution of our GDPR/Data Protection area of the businesss.
- Oversee our IT systems including; office, hardware, SaaS and server, onboarding and offboarding of employees
You’ll be accountable for all engineering needs for your squad, working closely with your counterparts in product, data and experience to build high-performing cross-functional teams so that they deliver impact on our company mission in the most effective way possible.
You’ll be responsible for all technical leadership, this means actively seeking out opportunities to improve or optimise our processes, participating in design sessions, reviewing technical proposals and developing the technical roadmap for your area.
- 3+ years management experience with previous hands-on software development experience
- Prior experience in platform, security, tooling, infrastructure, devops or SRE space.
- Knowledge of security best practices and built the documentation to support this
- Demonstrated expertise in software architecture and design
- Passion for and proven ability to coach and mentor people
- Excellent communicator - they need to be comfortable challenging & supporting upwards, downwards and with peers
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing circumstances
- Learning and Growth Mindset - we move quickly and experiment lots and we need them to help people learn and grow from mistakes
Nice to Haves
- Experience working with Compliance and Legal teams (e.g. for security or data)
- Previous experience of successfully advocating for Platform / Infra / DevOps / SRE best practices
- Evidence of leading engineering teams in a high-growth environment
- You are the kind of manager who is people first, technology second. We build environments to support our engineers to be the most impactful engineers possible. We have to strike the right balance between short term gains and longer term sustainability, and our engineering principles reflect this.
- You have previously been a hands-on software developer, but these days get your kicks from software architecture and organisation design, debugging people and processes, and delivering through others.
- You are a great communicator. We are a tight-knit engineering management team, who support one another to be the best leaders possible. You need to be comfortable challenging and supporting us.
- You are comfortable with change and can adapt to constantly changing circumstances. We’re growing the team, and we want you to grow with us on that journey.
- You practice a learning and growth mindset. We move quickly and experiment lots and we need you to help people learn and grow from their experiences.
- You have proven experience of 0 - 1 product development, and are comfortable with experimental, iterative development.
What do you get for all your hard work?
- A competitive compensation package (base + equity) with reviews every 6 months. Y
- Work at one of the fastest-growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Sofina, Balderton & EQT Ventures.
- A clear progression plan. We want you to keep growing. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. Always with our complete support.
- Flexibility: We can’t fight for the world’s financial health if we’re not healthy ourselves. We work with everyone to make sure they have the balance they need to do their best work.
- Work where you work best. We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London we have a hybrid approach, we encourage you to spend one day a week or more in our beautiful office but this is fully flexible. If you’re 2+ hours outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us in-person a few times per year - and we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- Other benefits;
- 25 days annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- Check out our new benefits package here: https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/big-benefits-energy-the-latest-cleo-employee-benefits
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- Private medical insurance
- 2 months paid sabbatical after 4 years at Cleo!
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- We'll pay for your OpenAI subscription
- Online mental health support via Spill
- And many more!
UK App access: The Cleo app is no longer downloadable in the UK. If you’re an existing user, you’ll still have access to the app. But some features won’t be available. Why? 99% of our users are based in the US – where financial health is often overlooked. We’ve decided to shift our focus to where we can provide the most value and make the greatest impact for users who need it most. Then we’ll be able to apply what we learn to better support our UK users in the future.