What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera is scaling carbon markets with software. We do this by applying advanced machine learning techniques to satellite data to quantify with unprecedented accuracy the amount of carbon stored in landscapes - and then we visualise that data to our customers.
We believe the transparency Sylvera provides will enable carbon markets to have a more positive impact on the world in a shorter space of time. This will be critical in keeping the planet under 2C of warming and provide huge wider benefits to nature and society.
Founded in 2020, Sylvera has now scaled to over 100+ employees across the world and has raised over $30m from leading VCs like Index Ventures and Insight Partners.
We're on a super steep trajectory over the next couple of years - we want incredible people that are as passionate as we are about the mission and want to build an amazing organisation with us to achieve it.
Having found early product-market fit in a nascent, rapidly growing space, we’re now scaling our infrastructure team at pace. We’re looking for mission-driven, Field Analyst to join our multi-scale lidar (MSL) team
, who are collecting state-of-the-art laser scanning measurements of the world’s forests. These data are being used to estimate biomass and carbon stocks across landscapes with unprecedented accuracy, and have the potential to transform our understanding of these ecosystems, and to incentivise their protection and restoration. We are looking for an experienced field researcher whose specific responsibilities will include:
- Collecting terrestrial and UAV lidar data, alongside conventional measurements of forest structure, during months-long field campaigns around the world (e.g., in Gabon, Indonesia, and Mozambique)
- Ensuring these data are of consistently high quality
- Contributing to the planning of these field campaigns, including for health & safety
- Assisting in the development and formalisation of our methods (e.g., writing field protocols and risk assessments)
- Maintaining high-tech field equipment
- Pre-processing UAV data with geo-referencing data
- Training will be provided as needed for data collection, UAV and equipment operation, and data pre-processing.
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Is creative problem-solver who is culturally sensitive with excellent communication skills, and would enjoy working long days in the field
- Has strong people management skills, with the ability to navigate relationships with our local partners
- Has the ability to thrive in challenging environments (think camping in remote locations with limited facilities, or encountering snakes and insects in unwanted places!)
- A background in a numerate or technical discipline (including but not limited to electronics, physics, engineering, computing, environmental science, forestry)
- The ability to travel for up to 3 months at a time, spending a minimum of 7.5 months out of the country in a year
- Is a team player, with a curious and optimistic attitude, and pays attention to details
Nice to have:
- Electronic or mechanical skills (including soldering, 3D printing, battery technology, mechanical engineering, or electronic engineering)
- A working knowledge of Portuguese, Spanish, French, Indonesian, or Malay
- Previous experience working with lidar sensors and/or drones, or the ability to problem solve on technical equipment/sensors
- Previous fieldwork experience in tropical and/or remote environments
- Experience with GIS and/or land surveying
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Half Day Fridays - 2pm finish every Friday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
- UK based (with flexibility to travel aborad)
Our Values 🙌
- We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
- Our business is built on revealing truths and debunking misperceptions.
Do What’s Right - Even When It’s Hard
- The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate With Kindness
- Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
- We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
- Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.