Senior UX/UI Developer, London
Isomorphic Labs is a new Alphabet company that is reimagining drug discovery through a computational- and AI-first approach.
We are on a mission to accelerate the speed, increase the efficacy and lower the cost of drug discovery. You'll be working at the cutting edge of the new era of 'digital biology' to deliver a transformative social impact for the benefit of millions of people.
Come and be part of a multi-disciplinary team driving groundbreaking innovation and play a meaningful role in contributing towards us achieving our ambitious goals, while being a part of an inspiring, collaborative and entrepreneurial culture.
As a Senior, Staff or Principal UI/UX Engineer, you will lead the research, design & engineering development of breakthrough biochemical visualisations. Your work will impact top scientists' ability to make discoveries in drug design and development. Your thoughtful user research and design alongside novel visual representations and engineering work will unlock the creative potential of large biochemical data as well as previously undiscovered user pathways and flows.
You will have the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in AI, engineering, and biochemistry while creating your unique mark on common problems facing the drug discovery industry.
What you will do
- Create front-end libraries and other components which form expressive and precise life science visualisations
- Design beautiful and well-architected user interfaces and flows
- Creatively visualise complex and expansive biochemical data
- Collaborate closely with engineers, scientists, and other partners to deliver on business objectives
- Integrate novel engineering and design work into our drug discovery platform
- Make critical frontend design decisions taking into account user requirements and scale (e.g. rendering of 3D libraries)
- Maintain an awareness of the current state-of-the art, identifying promising new visualisation strategies or technologies that could benefit drug discovery
- Develop and implement these methodologies through internal / external collaboration
Skills and qualifications
- Expert in data visualisation and user centric design as this will be a particular focus of the role
- Experience building frontend technology and designing user interfaces and flows for scientists and researchers in the fields of chemistry and/or biology
- Expert in TypeScript, D3.js, React or equivalent core front-end technologies and frameworks
- At least three years industry work in experience in front end / UX / UI engineering, development and design
- Experience working both independently and as a part of a team environment
Nice to have:
- Either a degree in Computer Science, Graphic Design, Physics, Chemistry, or equivalent experience in science, engineering, and design
- Experience modelling biochemical systems and deriving novel approaches e.g. as a Data Visualisation Developer or Data Visualisation Designer
- Experience developing open-source and commercial software for drug-discovery
- Familiarity with modern machine learning and AI methods
- Experience working with scientists and data engineers on visual features
Behaviours and attributes
What does it take to be successful at IsoLabs? We’ve boiled it down to some core values…
Thoughtful at Iso is about curiosity, creativity and care. It is about good people doing good, rigorous and future-making science every single day.
Brave at Iso is about fearlessness, but it’s also about initiative and integrity. The scale of the challenge demands nothing less.
Determined at Iso is the way we pursue our goal. It’s a confidence in our hypothesis, as well as the urgency and agility needed to deliver on it. Because disease won’t wait, so neither should we.
In this together
Together at Iso is about connection, collaboration across fields and catalytic relationships. It’s knowing that transformation is a group project, and remembering that what we’re doing will have a real impact on real people everywhere.
Creating an inclusive company
We realise that to be successful we need our teams to reflect and represent the populations we are striving to serve. We’re working to build a supportive and inclusive environment where collaboration is encouraged and learning is shared. We value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Hybrid working: It’s hugely important for us to be able to share knowledge and establish relationships with each other, and we find it easier to do this if we spend time together in person. This is why we’ve decided to follow a hybrid model, and would require you to be able to come into the office 3 days a week (currently Tue, Wed, and one other day depending on which team you’re in). As an equal opportunities employer we are committed to building an equal and inclusive team. If you have additional needs that would prevent you from following this hybrid approach, we’d be happy to talk through these if you’re selected for an initial screening call.