Location: London (Oval), incl. flex, United Kingdom
Type: Part-time or Full-time
We are creating a world via our platform where teachers and schools are no longer wasting time with expensive agencies because Zen allows them to reliably connect and get back to what really matters … our children!
UK schools spend well over £2bn per year on covering short-term absences with supply teachers. The current model exclusively relies on agencies that charge a massive commission and are terribly inefficient (everything is paper and phone-call-based). We are consolidating this analogue, fragmented, and inefficient marketplace onto a digital platform. Think Uber for supply teachers. In the process, we're pulling hundreds of millions of waste out of the education system and making a huge positive impact on teachers and schools.
We are well-funded by high-profile investors and are led by start-up veterans behind two of London's most prominent tech companies.
Looking to make a difference?
You’ll be joining Zen in a key position. Data is at the heart of how we deliver impact for schools and teachers, and you’ll play a key role in extending our data capabilities as we grow.
As our first Analytics Engineer, you will own our data infrastructure. You will also support our founders, product and commercial teams to ensure we can continue to make high quality data-driven decisions.
You will work alongside a more junior Business Intelligence Manager and will have the opportunity to grow and build a data team as our needs grow. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to apply themselves for a great cause and with great responsibility and autonomy to shape the company for years to come.
What we are looking for
● You have 3+ years of experience as an Analytics Engineer or equivalent position (Data Analyst, BI, Data Engineer…)
● You have a delivery mindset and experience working in a fast paced, high growth organisation
● You have good understanding of data modelling best practises
● You are a SQL whiz! You know how to write SQL which is easy to understand, simple to troubleshoot and that is highly performant
● You communicate effectively with stakeholders and are passionate about enabling them to access data
● Experience with Data modelling tools (DBT ideally)
● Experience with marketplace businesses is ideal. If not, enthusiasm for marketplace businesses is a must!
What you’ll be doing
● Own the challenge of maintaining and expanding our data stack as the company grows
● Ensure critical business questions can be answered quickly and easily by stakeholders at different levels of the company
● Be the commercially-minded person in the engineering discussion and the person pointing out the technical considerations in the business discussion
● Influence faster growth through providing the right data in the right structure to enable self-serve analytics capabilities
● Ensure data is reliably accessible and accurate at all times for the entire company.
● Help to design, build and maintain a suite of visual dashboards
What's in it for you?
● Work that you want to talk about
● Competitive salary
● Ownership in the company
● 25 days of holiday
● Summer hours with shorter days during holidays in August and an early Friday finish
● Convenient Central London office with perks like fresh fruit, yoga classes, bike parking, showers and an on-site gym and café
● Health insurance and life insurance
● Fun-loving, tight-knit team solving a problem that makes a difference
Diversity and inclusion
We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds, and different experiences and perspectives — just like the staff who teach through Zen and the children at the schools we work with. We believe in hiring the best people from the widest pool and creating an inclusive atmosphere with a culture where people’s voices are heard and all our team can look forward to coming to work.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen). We believe in an environment with equal access to career development opportunities and actively encourage applications from BAME candidates.