Head of Data Engineering and Data Services – Role Description
London - United Kingdom
The way we work reflects the values at the heart of our business:
Partnership, we become one team and family with organisations, helping them to navigate change and stay agile.
Integrity, our people really care, going beyond the brief to make change happen for organisations and citizens.
Innovation, we bring together the right technologies and services to design solutions that work.
Passion, we are passionate about — and dedicated to — public services and improving people’s lives.
We are recruiting a Head of Data Platform to join our Data and Insight team. We are a team responsible for the delivery of IT services to over 70,000 users across the UK and are passionate about technology, driven by customer satisfaction and always striving to be the best at what we do.
The key responsibilities are:
- Developing, Evolving and refine its Data Platform service, practice and development for existing and new customers who wish to use the Data Platform as a service function for all Data Platform technologies and Microsoft Azure.
- Qualifying new opportunities to ensure we efficiently pursue the right ones.
- Helping develop generic commercial models to enable rapid assessment of bid viability. Utilising GCLOUD and Referenced Architectures to meet all Business requirements that require Data Platform services.
- Working with the bid and sales teams to produce collateral that can be easily repurposed for future opportunities.
- Consult in writing and reviewing content in response to bid questions.
- Drafting deal-review documents that will be presented to internal decision-making boards.
- Working closely with the operational service delivery teams to ensure pre-sales and service delivery are aligned.
- Keeping abreast of data platform industry trends, standards and emerging technologies to help Agilisys improve its commercial position.
What we are looking for
- Provide leadership, coaching and direction to the Data Platform and DBA Teams
- Consult and manage the Data Platform Best Practices for IT/Cloud and Partnerships
- Standardisation of Service and Data Platform builds
- Design and deliver on Data Platform solution strategy
- Data warehousing projects and delivery
- Consult on - On Premise and Cloud hosting including MS Stack - Azure SQL VMs, SQL Managed Instances, Azure DB, Data Lakes, Azure Synapse and Power BI
- The Data Platform practice will be the client's and IT/Cloud Organisation’s first point of contact for all their data solutions needs.
- Direct line management responsibility for Managers within the Microsoft, Oracle Data Platform and analytics Teams
- Leading the operations, support and solution delivery for existing and new data platforms.
- Consult with the IT and Cloud Senior managers, Transformation Team and Architects on Data Platform solutions.
- Supporting clients in defining, developing and delivering their strategy through all stages of implementation, including developing business cases and roadmaps for Transformation
- Structuring and leading project work streams to meet and exceed client objectives and expectations
- Responsible for budget and scope; recognising and managing risks and issues and effectively manage Data Platform Annual spend.
- Encouraging others to demonstrate innovative solutions and alternative ideas to a variety of problems
- Representing Agilisys to clients and is a role model displaying integrity, innovation and passion
- Lead the Cloud DBA and Data Analytics team around regular reporting and assist on ad-hoc queries
- Work across business functions including data acquisition from 3rd party platforms, enterprise-level ETL, SQL Server Databases, Data Warehousing and Ad-hoc reporting requests
- Work closely with SLT to deliver cost efficient, effective back end and analytical solutions for clients and internal teams.
- Have an understanding of cloud infrastructure and in-depth analysis skills to advise on storing data in the most efficient way
- Ability to design and implement data architecture designs across multiple cloud platforms
- Head of Data Practice will be responsible for the end-to-end delivery of the practice and database products that support internal and customer data platforms and Big Data based data warehouses.
- Manage a diverse team of Microsoft, Oracle and Ingres Data Analysts, Cloud Database Engineers and Database Developers
- Will be responsible for the development of Big Data pipelines and business critical backend services.
Very good looks like
You effectively operate across many teams to deliver results. Other teams that work in silos are no obstacle to you.
You can maintain high levels of operational delivery. Being accountable and responsible to support the operational delivery of DBaaS for all accounts. Adhering to SLA’s and Operational Level Agreements. Inspiring the teams to provide the highest level of quality to our customers
You are a starter-finisher, with the intelligence and motivation to solve a problem.
You can demonstrate previously experience in delivering centralised and optimal database support and data practice excellence
You can articulate complex solutions in a simple way to a wide ranging audience (senior and non-senior staff)
You know about the challenges and pitfalls of responding to bids and have the experience to device when to 'no-bid' a potential opportunity
Having a forward-thinking approach to managing the business and supporting transformation Partners
Find new and innovative ways to maximise the value of data and it's monetary value to the company and its partnerships
Drive the direction of the data platform with new Data Strategy for the business
Skills, qualifications, certificates
Accredited to TOGAF 9.2 with a demonstrable understanding of supporting frame works and standards such as COBIT and ArchiMate.
Preferably have experience in the use of enterprise modelling tools such as Orbus iServer or EA Sparx.
Role model for company values, good understanding, and engagement with others, whilst managing their emotions, able put themselves in other’s shoes and respond rather than react.
Passion, Ambition, Aspiration
Demonstrably self-motivated, able to guide and direct others to achieve complex goals and objectives.
A good communicator with proven experience of persuading and influencing senior stakeholders to adopt technology enabled change.
A demonstrable capability to deliver multi-media presentations in plain English to enable executive stakeholders to understand complex technology concepts and solutions.
Engagement with delivery teams and ability to direct and or influence approach to achieve goals and objectives; ability to produce and then deliver supporting communications.