We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we fight for the world’s financial health, building a beloved AI that empowers people to make better financial decisions.
Backed by some of the most well-known investors in tech, we’ve reached over 5 million users and plan to double that number each year...which is where you come in.
We’re looking for a brilliant senior backend Ruby engineer to join us on our mission to fight for the world's financial health. You’ll be joining a team of adaptable, creative and product-focused engineers who ship working software. We understand our customers, we understand their pain, and we are passionate about helping them.
View how we run our Engineering Interview process here! https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/how-we-do-engineering-interviews-at-cleo
What you’ll be doing
- Joining a cross-functional product squad with a mix of backend engineers, data analysts, frontend engineers, user researchers, designers, UX writers and others to develop features that improve our users’ financial health.
- Collaborating with other leaders in your squad and pillar to provide technical insight into upcoming feature work, and leading the delivery of work by helping pull everyone together to get it shipped.
- Mentoring your colleagues to help them become the best engineers they can be. You intentionally take time to share your skills and experiences with them and actively support their growth.
- Working on our Ruby on Rails monolith to build out data models, background workers, JSON apis, and business logic services to support those product features.
- Delivering your work wrapped in the tools and techniques we use to let us iterate quickly: tests, observability, AB-tests and feature flags.
- Analysing data, wherever you might find it — querying our postgresql database, investigating our application logs, monitoring our stats and performance metrics, or digging into our quantitative user research data — to detect problems and come up with new ideas.
- Supporting your colleagues by joining our in-hours support rota, and, optionally, joining our compensated out-of-hours on-call rota.
- Getting involved in cross-cutting concerns that lift our entire engineering effort with the rest of the backend chapter.
- Taking part in shaping all the work your squad does, not just the technical parts. Delivery is a team sport, and we encourage everyone at Cleo to share their ideas, so you can expect to be involved in product ideation sessions, user research calls, design reviews, retrospectives, ways of working sessions, product demos, OKR reviews.
Here are some examples, big and small, of the kinds of product feature work our engineers have taken part in over the last year:
- Building a secured credit card from scratch to help our users improve their credit scores without changing their habits.
- Launching our new budget rewind feature to help users understand their pay-cycle and provide them with better analysis of how they got on with their budget.
- Adding discount plans and tiering options to our subscriptions so we can experiment with the best pricing for different types of users.
Whichever squad and part of the business you land in, you will ship changes multiple times a day to our hundreds of thousands of active users and seeing your work having a material impact on the financial health of those most in need.
Firstly and most importantly, all of the above sounds exciting to you and you want to make a positive difference in society by improving the financial health of our users worldwide.
You’ve also read our company values and engineering principles which drive our ways of working and help us deliver working software to our users, learn what works and iterate quickly to improve it. You share and embrace these opinions and are passionate about using them to deliver value.
As this is a SE3-SE4 position we’re looking for someone who has strong industry experience of using Ruby on Rails for a minimum of 4 years. If it’s not quite that much, maybe you want to look at our standard Backend role, and if it’s much less you should look at our Graduate role.
What do you get for all your hard work?
- A competitive compensation package (base + equity) with reviews every 6 months. You can view our public progression framework and salary bandings here: https://cleo-ai.progressionapp.com/ - This position is a SE3 - SE4 level and we can pay £83,366 - £101,632 p.a depending on experience.
- Work at one of the fastest-growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Sofina, Balderton & EQT Ventures.
- A clear progression plan. We want you to keep growing. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. Always with our complete support.
- Flexibility: We can’t fight for the world’s financial health if we’re not healthy ourselves. We work with everyone to make sure they have the balance they need to do their best work.
- Work where you work best. We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London we have a hybrid approach, we encourage you to spend one day a week or more in our beautiful office but this is fully flexible. If you’re 2+ hours outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us in-person a few times per year - and we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- Other benefits;
- Check out our new benefits package here: https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/big-benefits-energy-the-latest-cleo-employee-benefits
- 25 days annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- 2 months paid sabbatical after 4 years at Cleo!
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- We'll pay for your Open AI subscription
- Online mental health support via Spill
- And many more!