Rothesay is a UK insurance company purpose built to protect pensions. We are the largest specialist pension insurer in the UK, managing over £50bn of assets and securing pensions for over 810,000 people. We secure pensions for over 170 pension schemes and insurers including British Airways, Post Office, ASDA, National Grid and Aegon.
At Rothesay, we are striving to transform our industry. We believe deeply in creating real security for the future and our leadership in finding new and better ways to do that is the key to our success. To do that, we need the very brightest original thinkers to bring creativity as well as rigour. Rothesay is a rewarding place to work, where quality people can thrive and prosper. We pride ourselves on the connections our people build, many of whom have been with us for over ten years.
Job title: Business Engineering Developer
Role type: Permanent
The Business Engineering team develops and enhances systems used across the business, including the front office trading, middle office operations and actuarial functions. We work closely with our team of Strats (a.k.a. quantitative analysts), the broader Engineering team, Traders, Operations and Finance analysts to ensure smooth and efficient running of the Rothesay business and technology processes. We build new systems and support and enhance existing ones depending on the requirements of our clients.
This role is an excellent opportunity for a motivated software developer to join an exciting business area and work with smart and motivated people.
- Working with other experienced developers on the team, enhance existing business-critical applications across the business, including:
- Feed Processing Systems
- Trade Processing Systems
- Graphical User Interfaces
- Workflow Management
- Finance and Risk Reporting Systems
- Work within the Business Engineering team to design and develop new applications using Python, Reactjs, Web Services, SQL Server/PostgreSQL and other technologies
- Work closely with Rothesay’s Strats team, implement changes in the existing “Slang” codebase (Goldman Sachs proprietary technology)
- Collaborate across teams: engage Operations, Pricing, Trading & Finance teams to understand requirements and deliver new features
Skills and Experience
- 3+ years' application development experience, ideally within the investment banking or insurance industries
- Python programming experience
- Ability to work with multiple programming languages and technologies (prior experience with the proprietary "securities language" Slang is not required – but the role involves some Slang development)
- Familiarity with SDLC and development best practices
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- Server-side web development experience (incl. web frameworks such as Flask)
- Familiarity with SQL Server and/or PostgreSQL database technologies
- Linux experience
- Cloud development experience (e.g. AWS)
- Familiarity with SecDB, Athena or Quartz
- Dedication to role – Motivated to provide an effective support service across all facets of role
- Team Player – Demonstrates evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates well with others and encourages other admin team members
- Communication – Ability to communicate what is relevant and important in a clear, constructive and concise manner
- Organised - Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload in a fast paced environment. Ability to work autonomously with limited supervision
- Creative and innovative – Looks for ways to improve current processes and help develop creative solutions that have practical value for the admin team
- Judgement and Problem Solving – Proactive, sees the big picture and willing to be flexible to solve issues as they arise
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.