We are passionate about innovation and driven to improve humanity’s communications infrastructure. To support our growth, we are looking for an experienced Senior Embedded Software Engineer with software architecture and practical implementation skills to accelerate our technology and mission forward.
Join us at Archangel Lightworks, and you will be working with a fun, experienced, and forward-thinking space engineering team to deliver transformative free-space lasercom solutions to help solve some of Earth’s most critical problems, from economic inclusion to climate change. But that’s not all! We work extensively with aerospace primes, space agencies and specialist research partners which will provide you with exposure to cutting-edge technologies and exciting challenges, all in a fast-paced, supportive startup environment. You will be an integral part of a growing team which has already won international prizes and awards including having completed the Catalyst Accelerator which is backed by the US Air Force, Space Force and Microsoft.
As Senior Embedded Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the development of our embedded software, from architecture to implementation. You will work closely with the project lead and control systems engineer to deliver high performance embedded control systems. Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with our cross-functional team to develop the next generation of lasercom ground stations.
- Designing, developing and maintaining embedded software for Linux platforms and real-time control of our ground station.
- Writing clear and concise technical documentation.
- Supporting assembly, integration and testing and in-field full system tests with test software.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of software development processes and tools.
- Experience developing software for embedded Linux platforms, ideally using Petalinux
- Experience developing software for embedded real-time control systems, ideally using FreeRTOS
- Proficient in C/C++/Python development
- Experience configuring Linux systems
- Experience developing device drivers to interface with real-world hardware using a variety of protocols, such as I2C, SPI, CAN, and EtherCAT
Desirable Additional Skills:
- Some FPGA development experience (Verilog/VHDL) would be a plus, ideally using Xilinx Vivado or similar
- Experience with TCP/IP protocols
- Experience developing RESTful APIs
- Experience developing Python GUIs
- Experience using UML or MBSE tools, ideally Enterprise Architect
- Understanding of Control System theory
- Understanding or experience in image processing and machine vision
- Familiarity with ECSS guidance on software development
Location: Hybrid with travel when required. Our office is currently based in Osney Mead, Oxford.
Compensation & Perks:
- The opportunity to make a measurable difference in a growing startup building cutting edge technology to support a world-changing vision;
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you;
- Competitive compensation (salary, equity options scheme), alongside pension contribution and annual leave allowance
- Investment in you to help you grow, with training resources and budget
- A supportive team culture with high levels of ownership and responsibility
- Annual team retreat, regular socials and weekly team lunch
- A variety of additional perks including goodies, shopping discounts, learning and wellbeing app subscriptions.