📣A bit about the role.
As part of leading the Data Engineering & Data Science team within the Software Engineering team, you will report into the Director of Engineering. You will be responsible for:
- Managing, leading, and growing a team of analytics engineers and data scientists, who help deliver the foundational underlying data models and machine learning models that further analysis is built on.
- Helping define our analytics engineering and data science roadmaps and strategies, and then work with the team to deliver them by pushing the team forward and driving the delivery of projects.
- Co-ordinating with infrastructure teams on the engineering side to make sure the required data infrastructure is in place.
- Working closely with data analysts and data users across the company, building close relationships to understand what they need and feeding that into roadmaps.
- Working with Product Managers to prioritise work, including more urgent ad-hoc work that pops up.
- Advocating for and being the face of Data Science and Analytics Engineering across the company, helping support stakeholders and leadership to understand the opportunities in the area.
You'll get to use a lot of exciting new cutting-edge data technology here at Butternut:
- DBT (SQL + Jinja)
- Github (Version Control and CI/CD)
💡A bit about your responsibilities.
We're looking for a Data Science and Engineering Lead to lead and grow our Data team. You'll help us with the following challenges:
- Building out and maintained machine learning models and AI capabilities that deliver value to our customers and us as a business.
- Helping build out a foundational set of data models using DBT that power all analysis and data science here at Butternut.
- Help Analytics Engineers & Data Scientists here develop and grow.
Here are some of the projects the team have worked on recently:
- Deployed five machine learning models into production in the last six months.
- Developed DBT models for key growth channels in the business
- Strategically reduced costs to make data more scalable here at Butternut.
👋A bit about you.
- You have relevant commercial experience in a Data role, with at least some of that being in a Senior/Head of role.
- You have experience leading projects and managing teams.
- You are deeply familiar with best practices in data engineering and data science.
- You have a strong commercial mindset, making it easy for you to understand business priorities and tie technical concepts to business outcomes.
- You have familiarity with ELT tools like DBT, and concepts like testing and data integrity, and bring an engineering mindset to data.
- You have technical expertise regarding data models and database design development.
- Excellent SQL skills.
- Experience with BI tools, ideally Looker.
- Experience with version control and general software engineering philosophies.
- Strong reporting skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Passion for start-ups. You are not afraid of hard work. You take accountability. You proactively figure things out.
- Obsessed with dogs!
👉 Given this is a leadership role in a function that involves lots of interaction with other areas of the business, this role is London-based, with 3-days a week being in the office, and 2-days being work from home (Tuesday & Friday). Our offices are in White City.
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions. #LI-Hybrid
As a B-Corp certified company; you can be sure you are joining a sustainable company who care about our people, product and our impact on the environment.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Butternut Box employee discount
- Enhanced parental leave
- Co-working office space. Flexible working hours and work from home options
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Private Medical Insurance with Vitality
- Lots of office dogs (Ajax, Brio, Luna, Basil, Peggy, Pip, Rudi, Indi, Gnocco and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- As our business has grown so has our responsibility to our community, our planet and our business. We are not perfect, but we are committed to doing business the right way and continually improving our social and environmental performance.
- We are not looking for external agency support with this role.