About Salary Finance
SalaryFinance is a leading global FinTech platform. We support a community of 4M employees across 575 clients (inc 20% of the FTSE 100) in the UK and US, and provide a suite of financial employee benefits, to help employees improve their financial health and happiness. Our platform provides salary-linked savings, loans, pay advances, insurance and financial education. We have a team of over 250 brilliant and passionate colleagues in 3 countries and have the backing of great investors (Blenheim Chalcot, Legal & General, Experian, Goldman Sachs, Royal London, Virgin Money) with £100M in equity and £500M in debt funding raised to-date. We have won over 70 awards for our work, including MoneyAge's Consumer Champion of the Year, Prince Charles' BITC Responsible Business of the Year, and the Global Impact Award from Sadiq Khan for our US growth.
Your role in our mission
The Lead Data Engineer will be responsible for helping develop the businesses reporting capabilities and managing the build of the Business Intelligence Roadmap. The candidate will lead a team of developers in both ETL and ELT solution architecture and development. They will work with business teams to help the business develop a deeper understanding of the data available to them and help provide business users easy access and insight into that data. The vision you will help transform into a reality is the enablement of managing business performance both operationally and strategically through the use of the Data Warehousing/Reporting solutions.
- You are ambitious and want to become a member of a team committed to building BI solutions to transform the way SF uses and consumes data
- You have past experience working as a BI Developer/Data Engineer and/ or Data Analyst with experience in both using SQL to retrieve and analyse data from a database as well as building and managing data integrations, data pipelines and/ or data transformations
- You are an experienced people manager and leader. You know how to drive teams and set the pace, ensuring teams are delivering. You can manage risk, including effectively managing and tracking the mitigation of risks. You can manage various dependencies across teams.
- You have experience using BI reporting tools such as SSRS, Tableau, Looker, Zoho, Google Data Studio
- You have experience working with personal loans and/or credit products in either a FinTech or in the Financial Services industry.
- You have experience rolling out data stack transformations, preferably to a cloud based infrastructure such as AWS or GCP
- You have an analytical mind with problem solving aptitude and are capable of presenting these complex technical solutions/details, concepts and information in an easy to understand format.
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity and frequently changing priorities and a genuine can-do attitude.
- You have a deep understanding of logical and physical database architecture and schema design and commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the BI/MI reporting space.
- You have strong communication skills (Verbal and written) - Communicating between the technical and non-technical. You can mediate between people and mend relationships, communicating with stakeholders at all levels.
- You are a strategic thinker and can take an overall perspective on business issues, events, activities and discuss their wider implications and long-term impact. This could include determining patterns, standards, policies, roadmaps, and vision statements.
- You have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
The “good to haves” but not essential
- You are degree educated, preferably in a mathematical or computer science related subject or have equivalent commercial experience
- You are passionate about technology and social impact, and want to help grow a business that delivers a meaningful difference to society.
- You have real enthusiasm to work in a fast growth startup - you will thrive if you are a self-motivated, fast-paced, action oriented, “roll your sleeves up and get-things-done” sort of person who wants to work in a small team where everyone makes a difference.
- You have the ability to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to manage high volumes of work and be efficient at prioritising tasks
- Advanced Microsoft Excel/ Google Sheet skills
- Experience with Agile working - you are fully versed about agile methodology and can apply an agile mindset to all aspects of your work. You can work in a fast-paced, evolving environment and use an iterative method and flexible approach to enable rapid delivery. You can ensure the team knows what each other is working on and how this relates to overarching business goals.
- Prototyping/MVPs - You can apply technical knowledge and experience to create or design workable prototypes. You understand the limitations, restrictions, and synergies.
What you’ll do
- Manage a team of highly skilled Business Intelligence Developers, supporting their development and growth and helping them build a two-tier Data Warehouse solution consisting of both ETL and ELT methodologies
- Be responsible for delivering and managing the delivery of the BI development roadmap - this includes various data projects such as building out an analytics layer for business consumption and/or adding new Data Marts/Schemas to the Data Warehouse
- Act as an SME across the business for understanding the organisation's data, including its limitations, restrictions and known issues.
- Work with the Senior/Lead Business Analyst(s) to ensure the data definitions and data governance are aligned with the outputs from the Data Warehouse.
- Ensure the Data Warehouse remains bug-free with very high data quality and consistency
- Ensure the Data Warehouse ETL/ELT is always optimised, ensuring the business has access to data that is up to date
- Interact with various business functions to gather requirements and help prioritise them on the BI/ Data backlog
- Produce both regular and ad-hoc reports using SSRS or other automated reporting tools and services
What’s in it for you?
- Company bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday with an extra day off on your birthday
- Hybrid working arrangements so you can work from the office and from home with a budget to help you get set up
- Generous company benefits to include pension and life assurance and an annual allowance to spend on medical insurance, health cash plan, denplan, gym memberships
- Enhanced policies that are family and pet friendly, to include company sick pay and Peternity leave
- Annual personal learning budget
- Great career development in a fast paced environment
- Regular company socials (post covid, although we've got quite good at virtual ones too!)
- Volunteer days as part of our CSR program
- Being part of a collaborative and entrepreneurial team working in our brand new, purpose-built offices at Scale Space, White City
- Being part of a community of Blenheim Chalcot-backed fintech growth businesses including ClearScore, Liberis, Kodoo and Modulr, with opportunities to share and learn together
- More great perks to include complimentary fresh fruit weekly, cycle to work, help to save and much more!
Who you are
We embrace our differences but there’s one thing we like to share our values, so it’s important to us you are:
- Fearless, and able to make the impossible possible.
- Responsible, and want to help build a business that delivers a meaningful difference to society.
- Dedicated and want to commit to an exciting journey even through the highs and lows.
- Empathetic and truly care about every colleague and customer.
- United, because you understand we achieve more when we work as a team.
- Humble, and take feedback as a way to continuously improve.
We’re looking for people that will get stuck in and make a difference. We have a great collaborative, entrepreneurial team and are passionate about what we do. If you want to join a team that is changing people’s lives for the better then we’d love to hear from you.
Learn more at salaryfinance.com
Salary Finance is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment where all employees and applicants can flourish.