‘Rothesay’ is a UK insurance company purpose-built to protect pensions. We are the largest specialist pension insurer in the UK, managing over £50bn of assets and securing pensions for over 800,000 people. We secure pensions for over 170 pension schemes and insurers including British Airways, Post Office, ASDA, National Grid and Aegon.
At Rothesay, we are striving to transform our industry. We believe deeply in creating real security for the future and our leadership in finding new and better ways to do that is the key to our success. To do that, we need the very brightest original thinkers to bring creativity as well as rigour. Rothesay is a rewarding place to work, where quality people can thrive and prosper. We pride ourselves on the connections our people build, many of whom have been with us for over ten years.
Job title: Senior Platform Engineer
Under the leadership of the Chief Technology Officer, Rothesay has launched a multi-year project, Project Quest, to redevelop and modernize the full technology stack, encompassing pricing and analytics, risk management, market data and trade capture and reporting.
Project Quest is now entering a new phase where we are building out an entirely greenfield Cloud infrastructure to support the whole company. This is a chance to join a small tight-knit team where you will have the opportunity to make an outsized impact.
We like simplicity, automation, testing, and reliability.
- Be part of the team responsible for the major build-out of functionality on the new platform.
- Provide a vision and directly contribute to the overall architecture of the platform.
- Be the go-to person for end-users and other Rothesay teams.
- Own parts of the buildout where you will be responsible for planning, and communication with senior stakeholders.
- Mentoring junior team-members and upskilling the team.
Some technologies we use:
- IaC: Terraform
- Cloud: mainly AWS, some Azure
- Programming: Python
- DB: Postgres/Clickhouse
In general, we are looking for smart, commercial, problem-solving-oriented, “get-things-done” candidates. Finance experience is not required but helps to understand the business constraints we operate under such as regulatory requirements.
Skills & Experience
- Cloud development and architecture experience
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- Advanced analytical skills (typically evidenced by a degree in maths, physics, computer science, engineering, etc.)
- Applied programming skills - Python, Rust, C++ or other major languages
- On-premise to cloud migration experience
- Buildout of a platforms subject to banking/insurance regulations
- Security knowledge
- Experience planning and delivering large projects
- Teamwork – Demonstrate evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates with others within and across teams, encourages other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions.
- Communication Skills - Communicates what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and shares information/new ideas with others.
- Judgement and Problem solving - Thinks ahead, anticipates questions, plans for contingencies, finds alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives. Sees the big picture and effectively analyses complex issues.
- Creativity/Innovation - Looks for new ways to improve current processes and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value.
- Influencing Outcomes - Presents sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Takes a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations.
- Dedication to role – Motivated to provide an effective support service across all facets of role
- Team Player – Demonstrates evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates well with others and encourages other admin team members
- Communication – Ability to communicate what is relevant and important in a clear, constructive and concise manner
- Organised - Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload in a fast paced environment. Ability to work autonomously with limited supervision
- Creative and innovative – Looks for ways to improve current processes and help develop creative solutions that have practical value for the admin team
- Judgement and Problem Solving – Proactive, sees the big picture and willing to be flexible to solve issues as they arise
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.