Rothesay is a UK insurance company purpose built to protect pensions. We are the largest specialist pension insurer in the UK, managing over £50bn of assets and securing pensions for over 810,000 people. We secure pensions for over 170 pension schemes and insurers including British Airways, Post Office, ASDA, National Grid and Aegon.
At Rothesay, we are striving to transform our industry. We believe deeply in creating real security for the future and our leadership in finding new and better ways to do that is the key to our success. To do that, we need the very brightest original thinkers to bring creativity as well as rigour. Rothesay is a rewarding place to work, where quality people can thrive and prosper. We pride ourselves on the connections our people build, many of whom have been with us for over ten years.
Job title: Platform Engineer
Under the leadership of the Chief Technology Officer, Rothesay has launched a multi-year project, Project Quest, to redevelop and modernize the full technology stack, encompassing pricing and analytics, risk management, market data and trade capture and reporting.
Project Quest is now entering a new phase where we are building out an entirely greenfield Cloud infrastructure to support the whole company. This is a chance to join a small tight-knit team where you will have the opportunity to make an impact.
We like simplicity, automation, testing, and reliability.
- Be part of the team responsible for the major build-out of functionality on the new platform
- Participate in BAU support rota (shared across Strats and Technology), providing useful opportunities to interact with colleagues across diverse areas of the business
Some technologies we use:
- IaC: Terraform
- Cloud: AWS, Azure
- Programming: Python/Rust
- DB: Postgres/Clickhouse
In general, we are looking for smart, commercial, problem-solving-oriented, “get-things-done” candidates. Finance experience is not required but helps to understand the business constraints we operate under such as regulatory requirements.
Skills & Experience
- Advanced analytical skills (typically evidenced by a degree in maths, physics, computer science, engineering, etc.)
- Applied programming skills - Python, Rust, C++ or other major languages
- Cloud development and architecture experience
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- Networking expertise
- AWS specific knowledge
- Experience of a cloud migration project
- Cloud security experience
- A track record of contributions to an open source project
- Dedication to role – Motivated to provide an effective support service across all facets of role
- Team Player – Demonstrates evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates well with others and encourages other admin team members
- Communication – Ability to communicate what is relevant and important in a clear, constructive and concise manner
- Organised - Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload in a fast paced environment. Ability to work autonomously with limited supervision
- Creative and innovative – Looks for ways to improve current processes and help develop creative solutions that have practical value for the admin team
- Judgement and Problem Solving – Proactive, sees the big picture and willing to be flexible to solve issues as they arise
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.